Apply for Scholarship
The application window is closed. The WID Scholar application for AY 2024-2025 will be open in late January 2024. If you want to be notified when the application is available, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Apply: Submit your application electronically:
1. Click Enter Application Portal at the top of the screen.
2. Create a username and password. If you have applied to the scholarship previously, your username and password will remain the same
3. Once you create an account, you can begin the application. You may save your information and revisit the application as needed prior to submitting your application
4. When ready, click Save and Finalize to submit the application. Once, finalized, you will no longer be able to make edits to your application
5. You will receive a confirmation email when we receive your application
If you do not receive a confirmation email within 24 hours of finalizing your application, please contact email@example.com.
All applicants must meet all of the following criteria. We will not consider any exceptions.
- Be a woman currently enrolled or expected to be enrolled in an accredited university or college by the fall of 2023 academic term.
- Undergraduate and graduate students are eligible; undergraduates must have attained at least junior level status by the fall of 2023 semester.
- Demonstrate interest in pursuing a career related to national security or defense.
- Demonstrate financial need.
- Have a minimum grade point average of 3.25.
- Be a citizen of the United States.
Recipients of past awards may apply. Employees of NDIA and its affiliates, and their families, are ineligible for this scholarship program.
Once the online application portal opens, applicants will be asked to provide the following:
- Proof of United States Citizenship
- Copy of all college transcripts
- Two letters of recommendation (one letter must be from a faculty member at your current college/university)
- A 500-word essay
Awardees must agree to the requirements below. We will not consider any exceptions.
- Allow WID to use their names, areas of study, and educational institution in public affairs releases
- Attend a WID Scholar Celebration event June 13-14, 2023, in the National Capital Region. WID will pay travel expenses. Awardees will speak about their academic experiences, network with other awardees, and engage with men and women working in defense and national security.
- Upon notification of selection, awardees must provide a headshot and logo for the school where WID will send the scholarship funding.
- No later than July 1, 2023, provide financial aid office contact and information so WID can disperse the scholarship funding
Allow WID to share applicant information with Sponsors and Strategic Partners.
Fields of Study
Focus of the scholarship is on the following preferred fields of study: security studies, military history, government relations, engineering, computer science, cyber security, physics, mathematics, business (as it relates to national security or defense), law (as it relates to national security or defense), international relations, political science, policy and diplomacy, intelligence and economics. Others will be considered if the applicant can successfully demonstrate relevance to a career in the areas of national security or defense.
Awards will be based on academic achievement, participation in defense and national security activities, field of study, work experience, statements of objectives, recommendations, and financial need. Essays will be evaluated using the Essay Rubric. Awards are made without regard to race, creed, color, or religion. Women In Defense reserves the right to revise, suspend or discontinue this program without notice.
Paying It Forward
Awardees must show the impact their WID Scholarships have had on their lives. They may be asked to speak about their scholarships and their impact at WID and NDIA events. They may be asked to write a short paragraph or two about their scholarships and their impact for WID publications. Awardees must participate in closed group discussions providing links to published work and sharing career updates.
For general inquiries regarding the WID Scholarship Program, please email Ann Lewis at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fundraising events and donations from corporations, Women In Defense Chapters and individuals make it possible to provide WID scholarships. Tax-deductible donations can be sent to: Women In Defense WID Scholar, 2101 Wilson Blvd., Suite 700, Arlington, VA 22201-3060.