The window for applications for the 2020-2021 academic year is now closed. Thank you to all our applicants!
Applicants must meet all of the following criteria. No exceptions will be considered.
- Be a female currently enrolled or expected to be enrolled at an accredited university or college by the next academic term, either full-time or part- time.
- Undergraduate and graduate students are eligible; undergraduates must have attained at least junior level status (60 credits).
- Demonstrate interest in pursuing a career related to national security or defense.
- Demonstrate financial need.
- Have a minimum grade point average of 3.25.
- Be a citizen of the United States.
Recipients of past awards may apply for future financial assistance.
Awardees must agree to the requirements below. No exceptions will be considered.
- Allow WID to use their names, areas of study, and educational institution in public affairs releases.
- Attend a HORIZONS Celebration event in 2020 in the National Capital Region. WID will pay travel expenses. Awardees will speak about their academic experiences, network with other awardees, and engage with men and women working in defense and national security.
- Upon notification of selection, awardees must provide a headshot and logo for the school where WID will send the scholarship funding.
Fields of Study
Focus of the scholarship is on the following preferred fields of study: security studies, military history, government relations, engineering, computer science, cyber security, physics, mathematics, business (as it relates to national security or defense), law (as it relates to national security or defense), international relations, political science, policy and diplomacy, intelligence and economics. Others will be considered if the applicant can successfully demonstrate relevance to a career in the areas of national security or defense.
Awards will be based on academic achievement, participation in defense and national security activities, field of study, work experience, statements of objectives, recommendations, and financial need. Essays will be evaluated using the Essay Rubric. Awards are made without regard to race, creed, color, or religion. Women In Defense reserves the right to revise, suspend or discontinue this program without notice.
Paying It Forward
Awardees must show the impact their HORIZONS Scholarships have had on their lives. They may be asked to speak about their scholarships and their impact at WID and NDIA events. They may be asked to write a short paragraph or two about their scholarships and their impact for WID publications. Awardees must participate in closed group discussions providing links to published work and sharing career updates.
Fundraising events and donations from corporations, Women In Defense Chapters and individuals make it possible to provide HORIZONS scholarships. Tax-deductible donations can be sent to: Women In Defense HORIZONS, 2101 Wilson Blvd., Suite 700, Arlington, VA 22201-3061.