Women In Defense is no longer accepting applications for the 2019-2020 academic year. The application process for the 2020-2021 academic year will open early February.
Applicants must meet all of the following criteria. No exceptions will be considered.
- Be a female currently enrolled at an accredited university or college, either full-time or part- time.
- Undergraduate and graduate students are eligible; undergraduates must have attained at least junior level status (60 credits).
- Demonstrate interest in pursuing a career related to national security or defense.
- Demonstrate financial need.
- Have a minimum grade point average of 3.25.
- Be a citizen of the United States.
Recipients of past awards may apply for future financial assistance.
Awardees must agree to the requirements below. No exceptions will be considered.
- Allow WID to use their names, areas of study, and educational institution in public affairs releases.
- Attend a HORIZONS Celebration event in early August 2019 in the National Capital Region. WID will pay travel expenses. Awardees will speak about their academic experiences, network with other awardees, and engage with men and women working in defense and national security.
- Upon notification of selection, awardees must provide a headshot and logo for the school where WID will send the scholarship funding.
Fields of Study
Focus of the scholarship is on the following preferred fields of study: security studies, military history, government relations, engineering, computer science, cyber security, physics, mathematics, business (as it relates to national security or defense), law (as it relates to national security or defense), international relations, political science, policy and diplomacy, intelligence and economics. Others will be considered if the applicant can successfully demonstrate relevance to a career in the areas of national security or defense.
Awards will be based on academic achievement, participation in defense and national security activities, field of study, work experience, statements of objectives, recommendations, and financial need. Essays will be evaluated using the Essay Rubric. Awards are made without regard to race, creed, color, or religion. Women In Defense reserves the right to revise, suspend or discontinue this program without notice.
Paying It Forward
Awardees must show the impact their HORIZONS Scholarships have had on their lives. They may be asked to speak about their scholarships and their impact at WID and NDIA events. They may be asked to write a short paragraph or two about their scholarships and their impact for WID publications. Awardees must participate in closed group discussions providing links to published work and sharing career updates.
Deadline, Application, Notification
Women In Defense is no longer accepting applications for the 2019-2020 academic year.
Send complete application packets to:
Women In Defense
Attn: HORIZONS Applications
2101 Wilson Boulevard
Arlington, VA 22201-3061
Applicant is solely responsible for making sure all materials arrive to meet the deadline. E-mail or facsimile packets will not be accepted.
Application Submission Checklist
Complete submission packet includes:
- Completed application
- One essay (three segments - 500 words total)
- Official academic transcripts
- Two recommendation letters
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship (Birth Certificate or U.S. Passport)
Mailed submission packets should include all of the above items. However, we will accept "official" transcripts and letters of recommendation mailed separately. Please do not include unofficial transcripts in your packet.
Recipients will be notified directly then posted on the HORIZONS Scholarship Award Winners page by June 2019.
Please check our website frequently for updates; however no phone calls, please.
For general inquiries regarding the HORIZONS Scholarship Program, please email Rachel McCaffrey Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fundraising events and donations from corporations, Women In Defense Chapters and individuals make it possible to provide HORIZONS scholarships. Tax-deductible donations can be sent to: Women In Defense HORIZONS, 2101 Wilson Blvd., Suite 700, Arlington, VA 22201-3061.