Women In Defense is proud to recognize extraordinary leadership, strategic impact, and the potential to inspire women to serve in national defense and national security. Women In Defense hosts its annual Service to the Flag Awards Ceremony in recognition of one top government leader and one distinguished industry leader who have served in national defense and security, supported military service members, or facilitated partnerships between industry and the military.
This year's Service to the Flag Awards Ceremony will be held on September 27, from 11:30 am–12:45 pm, during the Women In Defense National Conference at The Mayflower Hotel. Registration for the National Conference includes attendance at the Service to the Flag Awards Ceremony, and separate ceremony-only registration is available for those who would like to attend the Service to the Flag Awards Ceremony but cannot attend the National Conference. Ms. Leda Chong, Senior Vice President, Government Programs and Sales for Gulfstream will provide keynote remarks during the ceremony.
2017 Service to the Flag honorees:
- Industry: Ms. Jo A. Decker, Vice President, Business Development, Sales and Operations, Global Solutions Division, General Dynamics Information Technology
- Government: Lt Gen Judith Fedder, USAF (Ret)
Previous honorees include:
- Ms. Lisa Atherton, Executive Vice President Military Business for Bell Helicopter
- Honorable Carolyn H. Becraft, Former United States Assistant Secretary of the Navy (Manpower and Reserve Affairs)
- Brigadier General Wilma L. Vaught, USAF (Ret), Former President of Women In Military Service For America Memorial
- Honorable Christine E. Wormuth, Former Under Secretary of Defense for Policy
Many friends of Women In Defense will attend this ceremony. They share a demonstrated commitment to engaging, cultivating, and supporting the advancement and recognition of women in all aspects of national security.